Monday, August 27, 2012

What I learned from the Ironman

This past Sunday, I completed my first Ironman Triathlon.  It went as well as I could have ever anticipated, and I learned many things which I will share in the future.

The one thing that is very fresh in my mind, is how much I learned to feel and appreciate God's world and the people in my life.  This event brought out many feeling or maybe accentuated them to a level that I don't normally experience in my daily life.  While not everyone  needs or should do an ironman (there are many challenges out there), I would encourage you to put some challenges and commitments in your life that teach you how to feel.  I know everyone has been hot, hungry, loved someone, etc... but when you add a little stress to the situation and put yourself to the test, those feelings become much stronger.  Yesterday, I learned a new appreciation for being tired and hungry.  I learned to appreciate and love my wife and family more.  One of the highlights of the day were when I would see them on the road, crossing the finish line with my 3 sons together, and hugging my wonderful wife at the finish.  I also was able to pray and talk to God throughout the day and every time I hit a low point, he came through in a different way in which only He could.

Whether it is your own life or you are coaching an individual or team, pick a good time to commit to a challenge and see it through.  I promise you will learn how to feel like I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment