Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Where does the fire come from?

It is funny how God puts things in your life just at the right time.  Being a college professor and coach, I am always talking with students about the future, goals, careers, and visions.  With that, there are a lot of students that don't have direction, they don't have that fire, and they are desperately trying to find it.  I have recently come across some good books and a sermon that all point us in the same direction.  The fire, comes from passion, which comes from wisdom, which comes from understanding.


The first book I have been reading is The Divne Conspiracy by Dallas Willard.  He talks about the common posters that read "All I ever need to know about life, I have learned in kindergarten."  He explains that while some of this is true, this will lead us down the wrong path and our poster should read something like, "I don't know what I need to know and must devote my full attention to finding out."  In other words, we should seek wisdom and understanding and not be satisfied with the cliff notes.  Tell your student athletes to learn all they can, they will have a better chance to find that fire.



The second book I have been reading is The Talent Code by Daniel Coyle.  He has an entry in his blog about following ones' passion.  He talks about how we walk around trying to "follow our passion."  Instead Daniel Coyle states that Passion grows along side us. He says, "The early years of any pursuit are filled with struggle and difficulty. The love of a craft grows alongside our skills."  Again, the common theme is, the more you know, the better your skill, the bigger your fire will be.


Finally, I heard an excellent sermon on Wisdom using Proverbs 4 as the text.  Here is the text:

Proverbs 4: 5-9 Get wisdom, get understanding; do not forget my words or swerve from them. Do not forsake wisdom, and she will protect you; love her, and she will watch over you. Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding. Esteem her, and she will exalt you; embrace her, and she will honor you. She will set a garland of grace on your head and present you with a crown of splendor.

These books have given me insight for myself, and my athletes have been influenced as well, as we go through the season and life, trying to find that fire.  Give your team fire buy getting them to embrace their education, advance their skills, and understand more of God's world.


No comments:

Post a Comment