Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Feel Good Moments

Every since I have been coaching at Calvin, it is my tradition to bombard the team with what I call "feel good moments" during the last week to ten days leading into our championship meet.  This goes back to when I had to go to Blockbuster and get VHS tapes and fast forward them to the right spot.


I like to bombard their senses with positive images, sounds, and words as they go into their big meet, I feel it makes a big difference and the team really looks forward to them as well.  It is pretty simple these days with youtube and the internet, we just watch 10-20 minutes of a movie, youtube video, speech, espn highlights, or whatever I can find before we get in the water.  I think the big speeches, the slow motion cheering, the music, the turning point in the movie triggers positive images in the brain, and really helps the atmosphere in the last few days leading into the meet.



Yesterday we watched a classic motivational youtube video that had clips from several different movies tied in with some good music, then we finished it off with a best of Duck Dynasty which got everyone laughing.   We had a great attitude, great mood, and a great practice.  Give it a try.

Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point.
C. S. Lewis




No comments:

Post a Comment