Monday, September 10, 2012

It doesn't have to be "Awful."

Over the weekend I was riding back into my drive way after a nice bike ride and ran into one of my neighbors.  He asked me how far and where I went?  I told him about 30 mile and where I went and he told me, "that sounds awful."  That got me thinking as to how we perceive exercise. 

My bike ride was not actually "awful" at all.  It took me to the highest point in Kent County where I was able to see the rolling hills of Michigan for miles, I saw farms with beautiful fields, cattle, horses, I saw the sun come up and burn off the fog, I saw Green Lake without a ripple on it, I saw geese flying in perfect formation, and I heard the quiet, peaceful chirping of birds.  It was a beautiful morning.  Yes, I worked hard, and my legs did feel a good burn from time to time, but that was not what I was concerned with.

I talk to a lot of my classes about this.  I ask them why we does everyone agree that being fit is beneficial, yet so many people struggle with actually putting it into their life on a consistent basis so that it enriches their life.  My neighbors comment, makes me think that many people have the wrong view or thoughts on exercise.

Here are some tips that will get you looking forward to your exercise and less towards being "awful."

1.  Take your aerobic exercise outside and look, listen, and feel God's creation.  I think walking on a treadmill, staring at a t.v., or listening to your playlist only gets you focused on the time you are trying to accumulate, total calories you need to burn or what song is next.  Learn to get outside and feel what the day gives you.  Yes there are better days than others to be outside, but I love feeling the heat, cold, wind, and rain just as much.  It's all part of God's world, and when the elements are not in my favor it reminds me that I am not in control, like I like to think I am.  Don't workout while watching calories add up on a computer, get out and explore on a bike, by foot, or by other means.  You will look forward to it more and it will mean more.


2.  If you can't get outside, don't do it alone.  Group workouts and classes are a great way to put the time in together.  I teach spinning classes, and coach swimming, both are successful because of being together with the group.  You will be more motivated and will look forward to being with your friends.  Walking, biking or running with your best friend or spouse can also be a great relationship builder and something that you will be valuable to you.


3.  Learn to value how you move.  If you are in the weight room, don't focus on how you look or how much weight you can or can't lift.  Find movements and exercises that are going to help you have a better quality of life and translate over into what you like to do.  For example, low back pain usually stems from lifting the wrong way or not moving the way you are meant too.  Find movements and exercises that you need to get better at, and then add resistance to them.  This will give you more meaning to your strength workouts.

Genesis 1:31 God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning—the sixth day.


No comments:

Post a Comment