Friday, September 7, 2012

The Value of Commitment

Between the end of one season and the beginning of the other, coaches always hear a lot of phrases like  "burnout", "I want to experience something different," "I want to try new things," "I want to travel," among many others that take athletes away from their sport and they move on to something else.  It seems to me college is becoming more of a buffet line in which students take a little bit of this, experience a little bit of that, and commit to nothing.  I think we are losing the value of commitment. 


Committing to a team or another campus organization for 4 years should be valued and looked up to.  On our team, we really make a point to celebrate 4 year seniors.  Being committed to the team allows one to learn and see something through, it allows them to persevere through the good and bad years, and maybe more importantly, they learn how to give back, and not just take.  I feel that when you are new to a team, like freshmen, you take from the team, and as you get older and you learn to give back as a senior.  That is what makes any successful organization function.  If you have a revolving door of individuals just looking for a glimpse, I think the catch phrase is "wanting the experience,"  it is draining on a team as there is not many left to give back.  The real world requires commitment to your family, your job, and you community.

I get athletes telling me they are "burned out."  I don't believe in that.  Are you going to tell your own kids you are "burned out" during the week?  Trust me, you will feel that way.   I tell my athletes that it is all about keeping your sport in the right perspective.  Swimming has to fit in your life so that it is complimenting everything else, and that hard part is that it changes year to year.  It is important for athletes to learn how to adjust the pieces of their lives so they don't walk around saying they are "burned out" every year.


Another thing I hear is, "I want to be involved in this organization or that organization, and be a leader."  I always encourage them to be part of other things if they can make it work.  I think that is what life is all about, learning to be successful at many things at the same time.  I also tell them to look at the team first, and ask how can you do what you want to do and be a leader within our team.  Usually, they can get what they are looking for right within the team, and they didn't think to look.  I once had a swimmer want to quit the team because they wanted to be part of the chapel leadership team.  I asked them why they couldn't play that role right with our team.  It worked out great!

Value Commitment and new experiences will come to you, new opportunities will seek you out, and you will learn to make a difference in God's World.

James 1:4
Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment