Thursday, April 25, 2013

Kipping Pullups and Swimming

For those that have been caught up in the crossfit craze that is taking the fitness world by storm you have either seen the "kipping" pullup performed in the crossfit games, wondered what it is, or have seen it and called it cheating.  I think it could be a training tool that could help swimmers develop better underwaters, fly and breatstroke technique, and just their overall understanding of the kinetic chain.

First, there is a debate among many about how the "kipping" pullup is just cheating versus the "normal" pullup.  I am not going to debate that and feel that both can be used to achieve different goals.  I believe that once you figure out the kipping pullup, you will be able to do more pullups, however, it is not that number of pullups you can do that is important, rather, it is the learning to do the kipping pullup that will potentially payoff for a swimmer or any athlete.

The kipping pullup is a more sophisticated  movement in which you use your hips to generate horizontal force to vertical force.  Swimming is also a very sophisticated movement in which we are using different groups of muscles and forces in different directions to move us forward.  As I listen to the video's in the links below, I hear a lot of similarities to what we are trying to teach in the water.

In this first video, listen to the explanation on how the kipping pullup is functional and think swimming as you watch the athlete demonstrate the pullup.  There are plenty of similarities.

This second video is the best instructional sequence for those interested in learning the kipping pullup

I am always  looking for new ways to teach my swimmers to move better in everything they do, and I think teaching this method could help some of my athletes swim better, get them to understand how to tranfer power, and at the end of the day, swim fast!


Philippians 4:13

“I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.” (NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment