Wednesday, May 15, 2013

New Blog for Summer Workouts

I have created a new blog,  This Blog is meant to help college swimmers (especially my own) train over the summer.  I know club coaches will cringe at this, however, I have swimmers doing anything and everything over the summer.  Some  are working at camps, some are working 60+ hours a week, some are traveling, taking classes, and only a select few have the time to train with a club.  In fact, I have had very successful swimmers (Division III All-Americans) who have swam like crazy all summer and some that stayed in shape on their own or even a little cross training.

I will post workouts Monday - Friday.  Each day, the main set will be meant to take about 45-60 minutes, and I will leave the warmup and cooldown for you.  The weekly schedule will look like this:

Monday: Aerobic Endurance - steady effort, making sendoff's, low rest, some decent yardage, good blend of free, kick, and stroke:
Tuesday: Legs/Speed Work:  some good work with the legs, all types of kicks, and a few kicks for time and maybe a timed swim
Wednesday: Technique Day - I will try to throw some drills and idea's at you, even post some video to show you what I'm talking about.  Keep HR low, should be a fun, exploratory day
Thursday: Threshold - Equal part work to rest day, solid effort, more rest than Monday, but assigned to times.  I use the pace charts from T2 aquatics.
Friday: Speed Work - creative sets to maximize speed and end the week on a positive note.

Suggestions: 
*Feel free to do some cross training from time to time on Monday's and Thursday's.  Some Running/Biking/Hiking is what the summer is all about. 
*Lift weights on a regular basis
*feel free to up the yardage or adjust sendoff's/equipment/reps to fit to your time and facility
*Be consistent, it will pay off, there is no off-season for an athlete.

*Post Comments on workouts, it's always good to get feedback

No comments:

Post a Comment